Wednesday, January 14, 2015

First Impressions - Blantyre

From the air - the land alternates between red soil and lush green plants. Long valleys rise into hills and small mountains; even a cratered volcano.

Landing  - a quick descent, touch ground, brakes on and HOLD ON the runway is so short that you’re flying to flat in seconds. 

The airport- a tiny quaint building greets tourists. Everyone receives a temperature check (thank God I had no fever!) and questioning on any travel in western africa in the last few months. After obtaining, copying, and notarizing my official educational documents from primary school to pediatric certification, I am stamped and shuffled through immigration without any questions about my purpose or request to see my documents! oh well.

The bags arrive late (as did we… three times) and phew my bag isn’t missing after all. 


Driving - as a former Scottish colony, cars drive on the left side and driving wheels are on the right of the car. The cars stay surprisingly in their lanes and honk if they pass. As a fairly rural country the traffic is pretty limited in any case. 

No comments: